Global public confidence in climate science is increasing


The Climate Progress Survey: Business and Consumer Worries and Hopes, a global public opinion survey published by the World Economic Forum in collaboration with SAP and Qualtrics, finds that while confidence in climate science has increased, optimism has increased. fault.

Most participants felt a strong personal responsibility to the environment, even though they felt that companies and governments could do more to make a difference. The majority of those polled felt that everyone should work together to tackle climate change.

This research found that nearly 70% of people trust climatologists, up from 57% in 2019, when this survey question was first asked. In Eastern Europe and Central Asia, the jump has been particularly dramatic, with confidence nearly doubling from 38% in 2019 to 65% in 2021.

74 percent of those polled agree that climate change is caused by humans, a number that rose from 67 percent in 2020. This issue has been settled in climate science for some time (99 percent of research on the climate agrees that climate change is caused by man), but the question remains a subject of political circles. Most people (59%) believed their governments could do more to protect the environment and only about a quarter of companies trusted sustainability claims.

Respondents in the Middle East and North Africa are fairly neutral compared to other regions, as they are neither ahead nor behind on any major KPIs. 71% trust scientists, believe climate change is primarily human-caused, and feel extremely or very personally responsible for tackling climate change. About half are optimistic about the progress needed to reduce emissions. Of the companies surveyed, 53% face a noticeable risk from climate change and 59% of those who use ESG measures say they are extremely or very useful.

The global study asked more than 11,000 people in 28 countries about their experiences with climate change. About 70 percent of its respondents represent the world’s population, with the remaining 30 percent representing the corporate world (those who work at least 40 hours per week for for-profit companies).

The study reinforces the World Economic Forum’s message that the climate crisis will require urgent cross-sectoral collaboration using all available mechanisms to make meaningful action possible, including policy, finance, technology and education.

The report’s findings align with other recent World Economic Forum reports that point to a critical reality: leaders don’t need to choose between the economy and the climate.

The release of the Climate Progress Survey coincides with COP26, a critical global climate summit held in Glasgow, Scotland.

Previous Spiraling inflation, money supply and expectations
Next How can we share our divided world

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *