Here are the headlines from your transfer from Cardiff City for Monday 23 August.
Cardiff in a strong position over Wolves’ interest in Moore
Cardiff City certainly find themselves in a strong position following the emergence of a suspected interest in Wolves’ Kieffer Moore.
WalesOnline understands that there has been no formal approach from Wolves regarding the signing of the Welsh striker, but it was reported on Monday morning that club Molinuex were lining up an offer of £ 7million.
It is believed that £ 7million would be less than the valuation the Bluebirds have in mind for Moore anyway.
Moore chose Cardiff over a number of Championship clubs who were interested in his services and it is understood the player is happy in the Welsh capital and is certainly not pushing to budge.
However, football clubs are businesses and manager Mick McCarthy certainly understands that.
“I don’t worry about the things that I can’t do anything about,” McCarthy said after the game against Millwall. “If someone came up with a huge amount of money I’m sure the club would consider it.
“I hope it doesn’t. But I’m not going to sit here and worry about it.
“Not at all.”
What is a huge sum is subjective, of course, but it is suspected that it would be north of £ 10million.
And that’s where Cardiff’s strong position comes in. Just days ago Wolves cleared Rafa Mir to join Sevilla for £ 13.7million.
This decision therefore means two things. First, Wolves desperately need to add a striker before the transfer window closes.
They only have Raul Jimenez, a confirmed player at Premier League level, and 19-year-old Fabio Silva, a tyro who has scored four goals in 34 top-level appearances.
Moore has a wealth of experience in English football, albeit largely in the league, and a weight of goals behind him. A proven back-up from Jimenez is exactly what Bruno Lage wants.
Second, this £ 13.7million departure just a few days ago will not have gone unnoticed by the Bluebirds hierarchy.
Wolves cannot plead poverty when big transfers like Mir’s have just happened and it will inform Cardiff that the Midlands club have a lot in the coffers if asked to dramatically increase the prepared offer of £ 7million.
Pep says Delap is staying put
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has confirmed wanted striker Liam Delap is set to stay put this quarter.
There was talk of the 18-year-old forward on loan this quarter to continue his development, but Guardiola ended that at his press conference this weekend.
Cardiff was named as an interested party earlier in the summer, as were Middlesbrough and West Brom. But Stoke City and Bournemouth have been linked most recently.
Now, however, it looks like the young forward, son of former Stoke player Rory Delap, will continue his development at the Etihad this season.
“He’s going to train with us if a striker comes or doesn’t come,” Guardiola said.
“He’s going to train with us all season.”
Bogle is leaving?
Bradford City are said to be the latest club to face former Cardiff striker Omar Bogle.
The forward was released by the Bluebirds at the end of his contract at the end of the 2019/20 season and has failed to settle since.
After a stint at Charlton Athletic he was transferred to Doncaster Rovers but it looks like they are trying to move him in order to make room for a new signing before the window closes.
According to Sun reporter Alan Nixon, the Bantams are preparing a move for the attacker this week.
McCarthy confirms Giles release clause
Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy insists he can’t be worried about the prospect of Ryan Giles returning to Wolves in January, despite confirmation that his parent club have a clause in place reminder for the new year.
While the aerial prowess of the Cardiff giants grabbed the headlines in the season opener, Giles was arguably one of the most impressive performers in City’s undefeated departure.
The wide Wolves man has already collected four assists this quarter, including two for Aden Flint in the win over Millwall on Saturday, and fans are already raging for the 21-year-old.
He looks to be a terrific acquisition for the Bluebirds and will likely have a big influence on how the team fares this quarter.
If he continues that kind of form, however, it’s not impossible that Wolves will consider bringing him back in January.
While that’s, of course, a possibility, McCarthy believes there’s no point in worrying about it just yet. All Giles needs to focus on is continuing to produce the merchandise and build on his great personal start to the season.
“Why am I bothered? McCarthy said bluntly. “We signed it for the year.
“The clubs always have the possibility of bringing them back.
“I’d be upset if they took it back! But I don’t care.
“He came here for that reason and if he ends up being the star of the show and they want him to come back, then he’s their player and there’s nothing we can do about it.”
You can get the latest Bluebirds transfer news for free right to your inbox here.