Barcelona considering Man Utd raid in addition to signing Chelsea duo but may have to pay £30m | Soccer | sport


Barcelona are reportedly looking to sign Manchester United defender Eric Bailly in the summer transfer window as the club continues its strategy of targeting Premier League misfits. Barca are strapped for cash at the moment and Bailly has become the last name on their shopping list for the summer.

The Spanish giants have debts totaling over £1billion but are also keen to undertake a full squad rebuild under Xavi.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Ferran Torres were signed from Arsenal and Manchester City respectively in January and Barca won’t stop there.

Like many clubs, they are looking for opportunities to land players on free transfers, with a host of players currently out of contract.

Chelsea defenders Andreas Christensen and Cesar Azpilicueta have both been heavily linked with Barca over the past few months, but their interest in the Premier League defenders runs deeper than that.

JUST IN: Arsenal star Gabriel clarifies issue surrounding Aubameyang exit

The report says Bailly could be available for around £30million – the same amount United paid Villarreal in 2017.

Bailly has played just seven times in all competitions for United so far this season, with his last game before the Africa Cup of Nations on December 30.

Barcelona are desperate to bolster their defensive options this summer and are also targeting Chelsea’s centre-backs.

Christensen’s talks with the Blues over an extension have reportedly failed completely, meaning he looks almost certain to leave the club on a free transfer on July 1.

The Denmark international has also been linked with Bayern Munich, while other Premier League clubs will also be watching.

Azpilicueta, meanwhile, has refused to be fired over his future but it looks like his 10-year stay with the club is coming to an end after finishing his full trophy streak with the Club World Cup earlier this this month.

“I will not talk about my future,” he said recently.

“Of course, I arrived in the summer of 2012 and I had no children. My kids were born in London and you know how I feel about Chelsea, but I won’t comment on my future.

Previous Taiwan sees limited impact from Ukraine war on chip supply chain
Next Londongrad tries to kick its 30-year habit of Russian money