CLARKSVILLE, TN (NOW CLARKSVILLE) – The Bi-County Landfill Transfer Station was closed Sunday morning after someone dumped acid that started smoking and melting things.
Just after 9:30 a.m., units from Clarksville 1 Fire Rescue Station and HazMat personnel were on the scene at Highway Drive, working to neutralize the product, according to a CFR alert.
“The facilities will remain closed the remainder of Sunday and are expected to reopen on Monday, March 7,” said Mary Anderson, assistant director of administration and education at Bi-County.
The culprit was a weak acid that was in a bucket, CFR Deputy Chief Michael Rios told Clarksville Now. The bucket punctured and the acid began to off-gas and melt the material in the compactor. Luckily, Rios said, the compactor was pretty empty at the time.
“As a reminder, hazardous materials such as those that have been disposed of can be delivered at household hazardous waste events,” Anderson said.
The next such event for Montgomery County is scheduled for Saturday, March 19 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 350 Pageant Lane. Contact Bi-County at 931-648-5751 for more information.
“Thank you CFR for keeping our employees and Montgomery County residents safe,” Anderson said.